This section of the forums is for dealing with all aspects of the network / multisite feature / what was WordPressMU.
If you are NOT running a Network of WordPress Sites, you are in the wrong place.
To help you get your question answered as quickly as possible, please have a quick read of our welcome message here.
The welcome message tells you what to put in your posts to help people here to help you. It also tells you what you should avoid doing, and how to keep track of your posts.
So, please, have a read, then go ahead and start posting.
A few notes:
- The extra sites are virtual. You will not see folders on the server for each site, just ones in the blogs.dir folder for media uploads specific to each site.
- You really do need mod_rewrite working and reading your .htaccess file. It is used in both types of sites. A good test is if pretty permalinks work.
- Subdomain blogs/sites work on the premise of wildcard subdomains. these need to be enabled in both your DNS records and Apache. Please read the Codex page for setting up your network, especially the "Before you begin" section.
- For top-level domains for each site, use the domain mapping plugin.
- For aggregating all posts from all sites to the main site, use the sitewide tags plugin.
- Each site is siloed content. this may or may not be what you want. it does work very similar to the blogs as wordpress.com, but it's your own personal version. You will need more tech skills to enable it and to run it. It may not be for everyone.
- the WordPressMU forums are now closed, so if you have a question relating to previous version, please state in your post that you are still running MU.
As of WordPress 3.0, you are using WordPress MultiSite. References to WPMU are assumed to be version 2.9.2 or below.
Thanks & enjoy your stay, from the moderation team.