WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

WordPress Importer
Ver. 0.5 breaks WP installation (3 posts)

  1. Mary B.
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    First, let me say that I've used version 0.4 of the importer on WP 3.1.3 with complete success. I downloaded ver. 0.5 this morning, and installed it on my test blog (WP ver 3.2.1). I've been working on a new theme for this blog, and up until I installed the importer, everything was working fine. As soon as I installed the importer, I started getting errors in the admin area and the site index page is completely blank now.

    I determined that the culprit was the importer by deleting all the WP files and database tables, then reinstalling WP, followed by a fresh install of the importer. I did this twice, just to be sure. I activated my custom theme the first time, and used twentyeleven the second. There was no difference...I got identical errors and results (blank index page) both times.

    Just thought you should know that it's doing this...No big deal for me, I'll just install WP again and not worry about importing test content. :o)

  2. Jon Cave
    WordPress Dev
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Are you able to provide some errors from your PHP error_log?

    Thanks for reporting.

  3. Mary B.
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Ok, I did some troubleshooting on my own. I downloaded the plugin again and installed and activated it. Everything went fine until I clicked the "WordPress" link in Tools-->Import. I got the usual message that it couldn't create the uploads directory, blah, blah, blah, so I chmod'ed wp-content to 766. That's when everything fell apart.

    On the plugins admin page:

    "The plugin wordpress-importer/wordpress-importer.php has been deactivated due to an error: Plugin file does not exist."

    Well, yes it does so still exist. I looked. In addition to the above error, none of the plugins that exist in the plugins directory are listed on the plugins page, and the index page is blank again.

    As it turns out, the problem occurred because the scripts apparently require that permissions on the wp-content directory be set to 777, something which I do not like to do for security reasons. Once I chmod'ed to 777, everything went back to normal.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic