WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] Users & roles missing from main blog (11 posts)

  1. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    When viewing Network Admin > Users, I can see in the far right column what sites each user is a member of. Also, when viewing Network Admin > Sites, I can see in the far right column which users are a member of that site.

    However, when I go to my main site (and only on the main site) Users > All Users I see zero users assigned to it. I downloaded and activated the Add Multiple Users plugin in hopes of assigning all the existing users to the main site again. After I assigned them again using this plugin, I still can't see any users on my main site.

    I tried using the Multisite User Management plugin to assign roles to all of my users. When I visit the Network Settings page to set up the default role assigned to users, I see zero roles in the dropdown box next to my main site. So, apparently there are no roles for my site either (??).

    Caveate: I just upgraded to 3.3.2. Thinking that might be the problem, I switched to my backup of 3.3.1, but my backup is having the same issue, so I have gone back to 3.3.2 again.

    What do I need to check in my database to get this resolved?

  2. What happens if you assign just one manually?

  3. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    When I go to the main site dashboard > Users > Add New > Add Existing User I add in the username and when I go to select a role, there are no roles listed.

    When I click the Add User button, it returns:

    That user is already a member of this site.

    Which is true -- because they do exist as a member already, they just don't show up on the site's user list as one.

    When I add a completely new user, there still are no roles in the select box; and, after submitting the form, I receive these two messages:

    1. That user is already a member of this site.
    2. Sorry, that email address is not allowed!

    Neither of which make sense, because I'm using a personal email and the username is allowed and new to this installation.

    I double checked in the Network Admin > Users to see if the new user was created, it was not.

    I should note: I'm using the WPMU LDAP Authentication Plug-in. It used to be on the repository, but I can't seem to find it there now. This is the one I've always used and it's never been a problem. There is an option there to dis-/allow local user creation and is set to allow. I don't think this has anything to do with anything, but I figured I'd mention it.

  4. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I checked in wp_options and found that I had a wp_1_user_roles option with the typical values (at least to my knowledge they're typical). I changed this to wp_user_roles and my roles are now displaying properly again.

    Any leads on where I might check in the database for a list of users on my main site? The same thing might have happened to it as with the roles.

  5. The main site uses wp_options. The users... it's in wp_usermeta and it's spread out.

    You'll see wp_5_capabilites and so on. So I don't know how you'd get around that.

  6. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Got it! Thanks Ipstenu!

    I found that I have two capability listings attempting to refer to the main site: wp_1_capabilities and wp__capabilities.

    The former is incorrect because there is no wp_1 anymore and the latter is wrong because it has two underscores. If I remove the 1_ then I'm able to keep the original roles assigned to my users from before my migration.

    In your opinion, would it hurt to remove the extra wp__capabilities (2 underscores) entries?

  7. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Hmmmm, ok.... weird thing just happened after changing the database: I'm missing a lot of my side menu items.

    Screenshots: http://i.imgur.com/tfDJE.jpg

    The left side of the image is my Network Admin. I'm missing my Themes & Plugins menus.

    The right side is an example of one of my site's dashboards (this is the same network-wide). I'm missing almost all of the menus from them. Not to mention the "Feedbacks" menu -- I have no idea what that is or where it came from :/

  8. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Nevermind. Had Adminimize network activated :/

    It's fixed.

  9. There no wp_1_* anymore... This is 100% true, for anyone who made their site after The Great Multisite Merge. I've seen weird moments where plugins (and even WP) thinks it should exist (sometimes a repair, for example, gets stupid). So I wonder if there's another plugin (maybe WP LDAP?) that did that?

    I would backup the DB and then delete wp__capabilities :)

  10. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Yes, I think it's coming from the New Blog Defaults plugin. It asks if you want to add new users to any blogs when their account/blog is created. I've got it set to the main blog (ID = 1). I'm checking through the code to find how it adds users to the blog as members.

    Then again, it could have just been fluke... some weird thing that happened during the server switch. I say that based on my experiences thus far showing weirdness does happen!

  11. Josh Maxwell
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Yep! Just a temporary glitch. It's all fixed up!

    Thanks again for the DB assistance, Ipstenu!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic