Hi, I just dropped in for a second and saw your question..
A few weeks ago, I made the jump from WP 2.0.5 to the current version (2.3.1). After backing up everything (twice), and reading through the upgrade instructions in the WP codex, everything went fine. I am now running 2.3.1 and loving every minute of it ;)
A few suggestions:
0. set aside as much free time as possible - don't be rushed
1. backup everything (twice)
2. disable all plugins before upgrading
3. follow the instructions carefully
4. let your visitors know what's up with a temp redirect
5. after the upgrade, enable plugins one at a time (beginning with security/spam plugins)
6. don't panic when something doesn't work right
7. test and check and double-check everything
Overall, it really is not a big deal. And, to answer your question specifically: no, there are no special steps for such an upgrade, just follow the procedure.
Oh yeah, check the compatibility of ALL plugins before the upgrade. There are many that don't work at all, and others that have been upgraded to work.
Hope that helps.. - Have fun!