I realize the better information I give, the more likely the problem is to be resolved. I'm an amateur web dabbler that got roped into setting up and acting as admin for a friend's site. This issue has become way over my head, and I've followed all of the suggestions I could find, but no luck yet. Any more info you need from me, please let me know.
Brief description of the problem:
I am able to access the wp-login.php login form as I should, but when I enter the correct info and attempt to log in, it results in a browser error. Internet Explorer 11 says "This page can't be displayed", whereas Safari says, it can't display the page because "the server unexpectedly dropped connection".
Trying to access the admin panel directly results in a redirect to the login page. It follows this behavior for my admin account as well as a test subscriber account I created a while ago. Interestingly, when I registered a new user it logs in correctly.
This behaviour started between yesterday and a week ago at the longest.
Please note, the front end of the site appears to be working correctly.
Unsuccessful steps I have taken to resolve:
- Enabling cookies, clearing cache and cookies
- Disabling plugins by renaming the folder through FTP
- Deactivating Theme by renaming the folder through FTP
- Deleting wp-login.php and uploading a new one
- Used phpMyAdmin to reset the password.
- Checked the siteurl value (it was correct)
- Made sure it wasn't my firewall, it wasn't as another WP site I admin works fine.
- Reset all the file permissions to 755, except .htaccess and index.php
- Manually following the WP update procedure to the most recent version. (it was 3.8, and I updated to 3.8.1)
During the course of attempting to try these things, my host banned my IP. So I contacted them and they have whitelisted my IP now.
Other relevant info:
Host: Site 5
PHP: Version 5.3.27
System: Linux s2-lax.accountservergroup.com 3.2.45-grsec #1 SMP Thu May 23 08:37:40 CDT 2013 x86_64
Build Date: Nov 15 2013 14:19:23
Server API: CGI/FastCGI
Of an interesting note, when I tried phpMyAdmin (one last time) to reset the password last night, it worked for one log in and I assumed my trouble was over. This morning it is back to it's previous behavior.
Thank you for any help you can provide.