WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

unable to change fonts (17 posts)

  1. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    newbie here...unable to change fonts. I have disabled all plug-ins, changed all fonts on stylesheet to Verdana, changed all fonts in design settings to Verdana, saved, refreshed, and cleared cache. I will admit I have messed around in my stylesheet quite a bit and my firebug shows me that things have lines through them and I think my page is just aaaallll confused. any help?? It seems to me this has got to be simple. I dont even want to say how many months I have been working on this.

  2. Andrew Nevins
    Spam zapper & Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Can you provide a link to the website with the problem?
    If so, can you state to which element you're trying to apply the font to?

  3. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    http://www.olympiablueribboncarpetcleaning.com
    I am a newbie and I do not understand the question regarding which element I am trying to apply the font to but I can tell you I am working on my front page trying to change fonts from the site title all the way down to the bottom. Some I have been able to change and the other problem I have is through changing so many times I have ended up with wording in my header image of all things. Thankyou so much for any advice

  4. Timothy Jacobs
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    You forgot to style the body element.

    body {
    font-family: Verdana, sans-serif !important;
    }
  5. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thankyou for your response..Ok... I can do that.. so that takes care of the body of the page but what about the header title??? Also the other big problem is getting that text out of my header image :o(

  6. Timothy Jacobs
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    #content h1, #content h2, #content h3, #content h4, #content h5, #content h6 {
    font-family: Verdana, sans-serif !important;
    }

    Those links are there from a widget. Go to your widgets setting page under appearance. Look for a widget area that has a custom menu widget, remove that and that should get rid of the text in your header.

  7. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thankyou for your response. That will be a huge relief to get that fixed. Ok...my last and final question...so are you saying that by styling the body element that will also take care of my header title being changed to Verdana too???

  8. Timothy Jacobs
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Use this code

    #content h1, #content h2, #content h3, #content h4, #content h5, #content h6 {
    font-family: Verdana, sans-serif !important;
    }

    that should change the header text as well.

  9. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thankyou so much. I am ashamed to tell you how many months I have been struggling with the simple task of fonts.

  10. Timothy Jacobs
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    No worries.

  11. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I made all the changes that you suggested above and I am sorry to say that it did not change my fonts. Do you have any other suggestions? Do you think my files are somehow corrupted from me making so many different changes over the past few months without not really knowing what I was doing??

  12. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

  13. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

  14. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    so is this something a newbie can fix??? can you please tell me where I go to fix the mark-up errors?? Is this in someplace other than the stylesheet? I am very willing to do the work with just a little help at where I need to correct these errors. Thankyou for your response.

  15. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Yes, you can fix those pretty easily - they are in the HTML code of your page - look at the validator results and then find that section of code on the page. Specifically, this code is messed up:

    <ul>
    <p font-family: "Verdana",sans-serif;	<li><span style="color: #ff0000;"><strong>Spot and stain removal, from food spills, rust, ink, wine</strong><br />
    </span></li>
    </ul>

    You also really should not be using inline CSS - it will make things MUCH harder to manage and change. I would remove all the inline CSS and do it in the external stylesheet.

    The CSS error is why the google fonts are not working - but with minified CSS it is hard to find - see if you can turn that off temporarily:

    Parse Error }<link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Lobster+Two' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
  16. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thankyou so much for this information. I will have my work cut out for me this afternoon!! I will never again use inline CSS. Like I said I am a newbie and I got all carried away trying to fix things.

  17. dazedand confused
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    ok... I fixed the code that is messed up... pretty sure I got it fixed anyway.. then I worked on the google fonts issue. I temporarily deleted it but when I go to CSS validation service it still shows the errors. Not sure what to do now.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.