WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] Translating and creating .pot file for wp-userlogin plugin (9 posts)

  1. Mikla
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Hi,
    I'm using wp-userlogin and would like to translate it to Hebrew for my bilingual site (http://www.michalp.com/babytipper).
    I am experienced in using PoEdit in cases when I already have a .pot file.
    The problem with this case is that there is no .pot file and all my efforts at creating one, using gettext and poedit failed.
    Any ideas?
    Does anyone have a .pot file for this plugin?
    Thanks!
    Mikla

  2. Jerry Stephens
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Sorry it took so long to get back to you about this. I've been looking for help localizing my plugins, actually. I've got no experience with setting up .pot files, but I'll look into it and would definitely appreciate any help I can get in that area.

  3. Potku
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I'll post this one here.

    When I edit the .po file with PoEdit, it converts all saved versions into .mo. However, when I upload the .mo, I see no change. What might be the cause of that?

    The language I am using is Finnish.

    Thanks!

  4. Mark / t31os
    Moderator
    Posted 5 years ago #

  5. Potku
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Thanks, that's a good link, but even in that they say it really should be as easy as 1-2-3 with PoEdit. But for some reason I am not seeing the changes after uploading the file.

  6. Jerry Stephens
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    I'm not really up on localization. So I'm not sure what the problem could be. I'll keep looking into it, and if you find the answer, please let me know.

  7. Jerry Stephens
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    It worked fine for me. Are you saving your .po file as wp-userlogin-en_US.po or whatever your localized language/country is? I did that then generated the .mo from the .po and it worked just fine. Of course there are parts (user links and selection) that I've left to WordPress for localization, but I may change that in the next release.

  8. Potku
    Member
    Posted 4 years ago #

    When I use PoEdit, I have the option "Convert to .mo automatically every time you save your work" ticked. It doesn't say exactly that in English, I am sure, because I use the Finnish version of PoEdit.

    There are three factors in play here: PoEdit, uploading with FTP, and WordPress. And me... So, I do now know which one needs to be investigated here.

    If someone figures this out, please let me know. I really would like to translate some things outside the theme.

  9. Jerry Stephens
    Member
    Posted 4 years ago #

    Try saving the .pot file as a .po and then edit that if you haven't done so already. This way the .mo knows where to look for all the translations.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic