Polylang and Pytheas (free theme by A.J. Clark/WPExplorer), which uses the plugin Options Framework, work pretty well together out of the box, Polylang recognizes and manages well all the custom types that Pytheas introduces (slider, portfolios and highlights, they all work great).
The only problem is with the strings that the theme introduces in the homepage and that are set by the admin via the theme's options page.
I have been reading all the posts related to this subject, strings translation, themes translation, custom post types translations, been google-ing for days, but I can't get my head around this.
Following all the examples and snippets of codes found, I have used a custom plugin (similar to this ) but it hasn't worked; I have added code in functions.php to register the strings (pll_register_string) and in the theme's files to translate (pll__)the strings, and the best I could get to was a Settings->Languages->String Translations page with the new strings but they would be scrambled at every save and they would not appear translated in the homepage.
Sorry to bring up this strings translation problem again, with all the snippets of code and examples that I could find, I'm sure that a skilled programmer could easily solve it, but unfortunately this doesn't look like a 'for dummies' thing... or, maybe, I'm dummier than the regular dummy!
Thanks a lot