When I update the permalinks to anything but default, links in the site give the error
The requested URL ### was not found on this Server.
- I have just created a clean install of wordpress 3.6.1.
- I have checked the links in the dashboard work
- a hello world post worked and I was able to post comments etc. when the permalinks were set to default
- .htaccess was created automatically and the time stamp updates each time I saved the permalink settings
- I am using WAMP version2.4
- The apache version is 2.4.4
- I am using localhost
I feel I am missing one small detail