WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] Strange characters "" and no Blog Access (8 posts)

  1. silverlight001
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Hi,

    I'm unable to access my blog

    http://www.nexusoneblog.co.uk

    Yesterday working fine today just two strange characters appear on the blog page ""

    My hosting company tells me that the issue is that the database has 33,000 records in it and is running slow - but to be fair my blog probably isn't that big and in any case was working fine yesterday.

    Also, I can't access wp-admin either. I recently upgraded to latest version of WordPress but following the install everything worked fine...

    Any help gratefully received.

    Thanks

  2. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Have you tried repairing your database? Do you have a recent database backup?

  3. silverlight001
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Hi,

    How can I repair the database please?

    I don't have a recent backup (hmm..lesson learned)

  4. silverlight001
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    What would cause this though?

    Has it been hacked do you think?

  5. caugb
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Hi
    your problem is that you are using an editor that saves your files as UTF-8 with BOM (Byte Order Mark). Probably through the options interface of your editor you can change it.

    This article is in portuguese, but I think it could be useful : http://www.caugb.com.br/2009/07/remover-o-bom-de-arquivos-em-utf-8/

  6. keesiemeijer
    moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

  7. keesiemeijer
    moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

    If you are on windows you can download this texteditor: notepad++

    Open your themefiles with this texteditor and from the Encoding Menu select Convert to UTF-8 without BOM, save all the files, reupload it your to your server.

  8. silverlight001
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Thanks for your help folks - all fixed now..

    I installed the wordpress backup plugin a few days ago - it looks like when it came to run the scheduled backup it messed something up:

    http://www.blogtrafficexchange.com/wordpress-backup/

    After I installed the plugin my blog was fine hence why I couldn't suss this out

    Anyway removing all the plugins then going to

    wp-login.php

    did the trick.

    That plugin has been trashed from my blog now and will never be used again.

    Superb support as always from you folks on the WordPress forums!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic