WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Still getting the "There was a problem writing your sitemap file." message..! (4 posts)

  1. mbouteneff
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Strange, but I'm still having the most basic problem -- I'm still getting the message, "There was a problem writing your sitemap file", though I've pasted the two files and CHMOD-ed them at 777 in (what I believe is) the root directory.

    Could any of these be causing a problem?
    1) I installed the Dagon DesignSitemap Generator plugin first.
    2) My blog is not my home page, but is located at mysite.com/blog

    According to the Google Sitemap generator:
    Detected Path:
    /kunden/homepages/1/d117452531/htdocs/iphone-extras/blog/sitemap.xml
    Detected URL: http://www.iphone-extras.org/blog/sitemap.xml

    I tried using a custom location such as the URLs below, but they still don't work.
    /kunden/homepages/1/d117452531/htdocs/iphone-extras.org/site-map.xml
    http://www.iphone-extras.org/site-map.xml

    I placed the two files in my root "iphone-extras" folder, which contains the WordPress "wp-admin", "wp-content", and "wp-includes" folders. Perhaps this is incorrect?

    I'm sorry I'm such a beginner..! Can anyone help me?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. phobicphil
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    I had the same problem. WordPress is installed in the web root and I've chmoded two blank files, sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz to 777. No joy.

    However, if I build the sitemap manually the first time there is no problem and the appropriate files get written to.

    I have yet to see if the plugin will automatically build the sitemap.

  3. Lamis
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Guys, you need to use CHMOD 666.

    Also remember to put the files in your root folder.

    If you keep getting the error when you go to the plugin page, press the debug link and then go back to the plugin page.

    Good luck.

  4. marglar
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Hey, I really struggled with this to.

    The above recommendations of creating the files, setting the rights and then clicking debug and then going back to the plugins page (via the menu option, not the back button) worked for me. The errors were gone.

    Hope this helps someone.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic