WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] Spaces in RSS Feed Creating Error (7 posts)

  1. Jonno99
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    I'm getting this error in my RSS feed on a WordPress blog:

    XML Parsing Error: xml declaration not at start of external entity
    Location: http://www.hometurfmedia.com/blog/rss
    Line Number 3, Column 1:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!-- generator="wordpress/2.0.5" -->
    ^

    I've looked up the error and it seems to be cause by blank lines at the head of the xml file, above the <?xml version section.

    So I downloaded this file as text and sure enough there are 2 blank lines at the begining of the file.

    But the wp-rss.php file is standard. I disabled all the plugins on the site and still the error persists.

    Any ideas about where the 2 blank lines may be getting added in?

    Or where to look to figure it out?

  2. Jonno99
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    [fixed] There was two blank lines at the end of my wp-config file.

  3. simplemedia
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    Were the blank lines inside the ?> or outside it?

    I had this similar problem, I destroyed the site then restored it, and this solved the problem. However I am wondering what the real cause was. No blank lines at the end of my config file...

    (This may or may not be related to my post today on
    category feed permalinks not working
    .)

  4. crikeymedia
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    I have been getting that message also. Not sure why. The xml rountine I created pumpos out a serios of blank lines on the top of my XML header. I have also found that I need to delete my cache..

  5. ccoupe
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    If your XML parser/enconder puts in extra lines blank lines, it needs to be fixed.

  6. coolwebteacher
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    I was ready to pull my hair out on this one, but finally realized that it was my theme causing the problems. I changed to the default theme and everything started working again. I'm still stumped as to where the problem was in the theme's files and I'll keep looking because I liked that theme.

  7. rjasong23
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    For me it wasn't blank spaces (I spent hours trying to find those) but rather two extra redundant lines at the end of my functions.php file, including a random <title></title> line.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags