WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

WordPress SEO by Yoast
[resolved] Sitemaps XML declaration allowed only at the start of the document (5 posts)

  1. pdillon809
    Member
    Posted 10 months ago #

    Hi,

    I have Yoast SEO installed on several sites on the same server - all are using the same .htaccess file.

    I installed the plugin on another site (same server) yesterday but have not been able to get the sitemaps to generate. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Yoast.

    Either there is a file not found or I get this message:
    This page contains the following errors:

    error on line 19 at column 6: XML declaration allowed only at the start of the document
    Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

    BTW, there is no rendering of the page up to the first error.

    I have researched others with the same issue and don't have any of the caching plugins that may have caused this type of problem in the past. I have checked functions.php and there are no blank lines.

    Any other ideas?

    http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-seo/

  2. LLP
    Member
    Posted 10 months ago #

    I just noticed that I am having the same type of issue on my site with Yoast SEO but I do not know if I had this error prior to the recent WP.org update.

    But I have it now and that is a problem. The error I get when click on XML SITEMAP button within Yoast SEO:

    Error loading stylesheet: An XSLT stylesheet does not have an XML mimetype:

    http://ladylovespinstripes.com/main-sitemap.xsl

    Please help me fix this as I do not even know where to begin here as I am not very good with this complicated techie stuff.

    Thank you.

  3. pdillon809
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Any word from the developers on this?

  4. Cathy Tibbles
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    unfortunately one of my clients is also experiencing this issue

  5. pdillon809
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    OK, I tracked down the issue (in my case).

    I disabled all plugins - wasn't the issue. Changed from child to parent theme and sitemaps worked.

    So you could switch themes to isolate the issue - if you aren't using child themes.

    Many solution suggest checking for whitespace between the php tags in your theme files. I had done this previously but (I guess) not thoroughly enough. This took some time.

    Issue is resolved for me.

Reply

You must log in to post.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags