WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Search and Replace
Simple find and replace for the dreaded "Â" character? (8 posts)

  1. tkucey
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I have the dreaded "Â" character throughout my site suddenly.
    Apparently migrating or updating wordpress causes Mysql issues latin-->UTF8. But mine was just cloning the site with a .dev for redesign.

    anyhow, if I use find and replace to do this, anyone know what the replace value should be or do I just leave it blank?

    Thanks in advance!

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search-and-replace/

  2. ABCDiamond
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    &#194 = Â
    and again in code in case it appears wrong: &#194

    I had a problem with similar issues. Consider setting up a find and replace macro in excel, to change all of them.

    http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/web/codehtml.html

  3. tkucey
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thanks ABCDiamond.

    I wasnt clear, sorry. I want to get rid of the little buggers! Not sure if replace value should be blank or if it needs a character.

  4. ABCDiamond
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    The little accent is part of the special letter code, so your only way is to change  to A using a find and replace macro, which is what I did to get rid of all the accents that stuffed up my import of a load of pages the other day.

    So, you could try changing &#194 to &#65
    which is  to A in the screen version.

  5. tkucey
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Nope. Still, just want to get rid of them.
    The 'replace' Im talking of is only in reference to the plugin's name.

    My " a's " are tacked inside or onto the end of words they shouldn't be on ie: That's greatA!

    So to get rid of one in the middle of a word ie : HellAo with this plugin, do you just leave the replace field blank??

  6. ABCDiamond
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Ahh. I see.

    Have you tried this suggestion from an old post:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/strange-characters-in-past-posts?replies=12#post-580200

    You have to comment out two lines in your wp-config.php file (found in your main blog directory).
    These are the two lines:
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');

    Comment them out like this:

    //define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    //define('DB_COLLATE', '');

  7. ABCDiamond
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Hi again.

    I just came across exactly the same thing on one of my sites. Now I know exactly what you have.

    It is caused by one character or even a space that has somehow been converted to a special character.

    I did a quick replace of a page of spaces, or maybe the characters and spaces, and that fixed it.

    eg: I had these three characters together : <
    in my edit page view it looks right, but when published it showed on my browser as :Â<

    Replacing ": <" [copied and pasted from my page] with ": <" [typing the characters] fixed it.

    Easy for one page, but I appear to have a whole site to fix !!
    I may just download the plugin you are using ;)

    No idea what made it change recently.

  8. tkucey
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    ABCDiamond - I did try that old posts recc'd and it didnt work.

    Had to contact my hosting co. and turns out there was latin coding embedded way down int he older scripts. Their server had done an automatic update and all the character suddenly appeared.
    Hosting co. fixed it (thanks guys!) and all is right again.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags