It's hard for me to see the images on my browser but I understand the concept.
I've gotten a significant boost by doing a few things.
1) I resampled all the images to 1000px rather than 1200px.
2) I resampled selecting progressive jpg rather than jpg. (huge difference in size.)
3) I made a choice that the quality isn't compromised much by sampling the files to lower quality. I saved as many 1000kb in some files.
4) Added Photon
5) Added W3Caching
5) Added Advanced Lazy Loading. (This site is more image heavy then anything I have ever worked with. It's a good idea to only load images when they become visible within the viewport.)
The carousel takes a bit to load on mobile phone still, but I think it's acceptable considering each carousel is loading all the images at once, or so it seems.
Thanks for your help.