I'm looking to streamline a budget process using WordPress attachments, google forms, google spreadsheets, and other resources you might suggest.
I run a Student Senate committee that decides how to divide up a pot of money among the hundreds of school-wide events that have been proposed by 50-ish student groups.
- First, each of the groups submits to us 1) financial records of their past events, 2) their projected needs for each of the events they plan to repeat this semester, and 3) a description of why each event is important for the student body. (Currently, they email us an Excel spreadsheet and a Word doc. Replacing these with an embedded google form or spreadsheet would be nice.)
- Second, we help each organization revise its submissions. (So, we must be able collaborate on a shared document -- e.g. a Google spreadsheet -- but ideally, the organization leaders would NOT be able to view one another's submissions. I don't think that Google forms and spreadsheets have yet gotten that fine level of access control).
- Third, we aggregate their finalized requests into a proposed budget. (Google spreadsheets has a tool called "ImportRange" that could help here).
- Fourth, we try to make a fair decision about which events won't be funded at the requested amount, by consulting 1) the groups' submissions, 2) our guidelines for what are reasonable event expenditures.
So we need form submissions, fined-grained privacy controls, and spreadsheet capability, all rolled into one. I'd like to be able to handle all these tasks through the WordPress MU account that our school provided us -- probably by embedding google forms, spreadsheets, etc. Problem is, I've never used wordpress before.
So, my questions:
- Is there something better out there than google forms and spreadsheets for this sort of work?
- Can you recommend any specific WordPress plugins?
- Any specific recommendations for how the technology can lighten my logistical burden?