WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

save_post action has empty $_POST? (3 posts)

  1. forrest.tanaka
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I'm trying to reformat the date entered into a custom field called event_date_begin so that it's in a standard format when the post is published. Every related bit of information I can find says to hook into the save_post action and retrieve existing custom field values with $_POST['custom field name']. Yet I always find this has no contents, even though I know this custom field exists. This is in my functions.php file:

    add_action('save_post', 'update_dates');
    	function update_dates ($ID = false, $post = false) {
    		if (isset($_POST['event_date_begin']))
    			update_post_meta($ID, 'event_date_begin', date('Y/m/d', strtotime($_POST['event_date_begin'])));
    		else
    			update_post_meta($ID, 'event_date_begin', 'empty');
    	}

    This always sets rewrites the event_date_begin custom field to “empty” (the else clause here is just for testing).

    I even once put in code to check $_POST['event_date_begin'] right after setting it to the 'empty' value, and it still fails the isset() test.

    I can’t find anyone else saying $_POST is empty when it shouldn’t be, so I can’t figure out why it’s always empty for me. This is when I update a post (as opposed to a page, which I haven’t tested).

  2. vikramtalkin
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Dont check for isset of $_post here as you want to update your meta value.
    check for empty $_POST for the meta key and the update as you want .

    if ($_POST['event_date_begin']!='')
    	update_post_meta($ID, 'event_date_begin',date('Y/m/d', strtotime($_POST['event_date_begin'])));
    else
    	update_post_meta($ID, 'event_date_begin', 'empty');

    and please check that meta key you used is correct.

  3. JezC
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I was struggling with a similar strange problem with a site that otherwise worked. It all worked on a different host, too - the development host. But deployed to production, every form had an empty $_POST and was not treated like a POST, even though I could see a POST in the webserver logfiles.

    I eventually found the cause, accidentally, when solving what seemed like a lower priority problem. The error logfile for the Apache server was complaining about "Negotiation: discovered file(s) matching request: ... (None could be negotiated)".

    When I fixed that (removed the Option for MultiViews in the Apache Virtual Server configuration file), I got $_POST filled in.

    So it may be a subtle server configuration problem.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic