I have been drafting rules for my current affairs site because I get a lot of offensive posts but I also dislike censorship. I am trying to strike a balance between free speech and responsible conduct.
Here is my current draft Rules.
I would be very pleased to receive any comments.
(BTW, I am a criminal lawyer but this sort of drafting is outside my area of rxpertise)
DRAFT Blog Rules
20 Rules for responsible and civil conduct on this Blog
15/12/05 Version 2
01 By participating in this Blog, you acknowledge that you have read and accepted these Rules.
02. You participate in this Blog at your own risk.
03. You take responsibility for your comments.
04. You use any information on this Blog at your own risk.
05. I reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor this Blog for inappropriate postings, but do not undertake editorial control of postings or comments. Nor I we monitor every posted comment.
06. Any person who objects to a comment is requested to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
07. I reserve the right to terminate, without notice, blog access of any user who violates these Rules.
08. I do not attest to the accuracy or truthfulness of any of the views or facts posted in comments on this Blog.
09. Do not post any defamatory, libelous, vulgar, obscene, abusive, profane, threatening, hateful, racially, ethnically, or otherwise offensive or illegal information or material.
10. Do not post any confidential information or any information that would infringe upon the proprietary, privacy or personal rights of others.
11. Do not use this blog in any illegal manner
12. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner
13. Do not post any off-topic or meaningless comments.
14. Do not post links to other sites unless they are plainly relevant.
15. Do not spam.
16. Posting anonymity is acceptable but it is a privilege. If the privilege is abused, I may insist that you post under your real name and email address. After all, I do.
17. This is a public Blog. It is a service provided by me to you. Respect that.
18. Display good manners - please attack the personâ€™s argument but never the person himself.
19. This site does not provide legal advice. If you want legal advice, get a lawyer.
20. ALWAYS REMEMBER, robust debate from all points of view is welcomed and encouraged.