I wanted to share two sites that I've created recently which push the CMS and design capabilities of WordPress.
The first is my site: http:/tddewey.com
- It uses a slide down panel for instance access to recent tweets, facebook updates, as well as site content (photographs and design). I can set any particular post or page to be "featured" and it will show up in the center area of this drop down.
- The photography page pulls in photography from Flickr and displays it at a large resolution.
- The design portfolio uses WordPress pages to function. The main portfolio page (the grid of images) is a custom loop.
- The other internal pages are also WordPress pages that have been highly styled
- The entire site is connected up to Facebook, using WP Facebook Connect by Adam Hupp
The second site (http://888artfest.com), which was built for a client, looks more like a typical WordPress site, but has some more discreet features:
- Each of the tabs across the top ends up having it's own color and header graphic which aids in navigation across the site
- "Our Events" is a custom loop that pulls from specific posts marked as ArtFest events.
- Similarly, "past ArtFest shows" goes to a template with a custom loop
- These tables can also be used to list and link the individual artists that are participating in a particular show
I look forward to WordPress 3.0's custom post type GUI -- I can see having a post-type for "artist" or "author" and making all this work significantly easier!