WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Punctuation not showing properly (6 posts)

  1. OllieWhite
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    Firstly, I must apologise for posting this here, but it has been doing my head in and I am having trouble finding a solution on the internet in general.

    I recently had to upload all the tables in the database for my WP blog from a back-up. This worked fine and dandy, but ever since I did this, the post titles in Firefox's live bookmark things are different. Instead of showing punctuation like " or ?, it shows … and similar. And the wp-quote which pulls data from a table replaces punctuation with �. (A black diamond with a white question mark, in case that doesn't work.) I don't think it is a problem with my computer as such because it could work it out before, and I know I have not done something when uploading or I have corrupted something somewhere, but do not know where.

    Does anyone have a simple answer, or even just tell me where to look on the net.

    http://www.mucky-duck.me.uk/blog/

    Any help would be appreciated!

  2. OllieWhite
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    "Instead of showing punctuation like " or ?, it shows … and similar."

    Ha ha, I knew it would do that! ... is being displayed as & # 8230 ;

  3. moshu
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    It's a MySQL bug and it is appearing whenever there is an import/export.
    (Even on this forum you can find a lot of older posts - prior to the upgrade in Dec 2005 - that have this ugliness.)
    I always forget to bookmark the topic witht he fix :(
    I'll try to find it.

  4. moshu
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

  5. OllieWhite
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    Thanks Moshu, I will now play with it to see if I can make it work. Thanks again. :-)

  6. OllieWhite
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    This might be a very round-about way of doing things, but...

    ...when I imported the tables, I did so to a different database. I reinstalled WP, made sure it worked okay, then uploaded the tables from my backup but to a different DB and pointed everything to it. In other words, the original data was still there. So I changed the language and exported it again, then re-imported it to the new DB.
    So far, this appears to have worked. A very long process, but one that keeps everything in its original state, just in case the worse should happen.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic