WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

problem - WordPress in a different directory (4 posts)

  1. WillBrody
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I am completely new to WordPress and followed advice in Digging into WordPress, also found at http://www.optiniche.com/blog/145/wordpress-tutorial-install-wordpress-in-a-different-directory

    to install WordPress in a different directory. It worked fine. I gave an associate Administrator rights, and in trying to achieve something else, he went into Settings and changed the WordPress address (URL) from http://mydomain.com/directory back to http://mydomain.com

    All formatting was lost. And now I can't seem to log in to change it back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  2. esmi
    Theme Diva & Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Change the urls back. See Changing_The_Site_URL for details of how to do this.

  3. WillBrody
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Esmi, thank you for your reply. Doesn't your suggestion assume I can log into my WordPress admin area? My problem is that I can't log in. There is a log-in screen at
    http://mydomain.com/directory/wp-login, but when I enter my credentials it takes me to

    The requested URL /wp-login.php was not found on this server.

    If I try http://mydomain.com/wp-login I immediately get

    The requested URL /wp-login.php was not found on this server.

    How do I get in to change those settings?

  4. WillBrody
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Esmi, a follow-up.

    First, I see that reading further down the link in your post did give me the answer I needed. Unfortunately, I discovered that only after taking another approach (with some trepidation) described below. Happily it seems to have achieved the same thing.

    I moved all the WP files from the directory they were in back into the root directory. This allowed me to log in and change the url as you suggested. Then I moved all the WP files back into the directory I'd taken them from and put an edited version of index.php (as instructed in the Optiniche link in my first post) into the root directory. Now the whole site appears to work again as it originally did. If you spot some flaw in this process that is hiding a problem that may crop up later, I'd be very happy to hear from you. thanks

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic