Chris and Oakley,
I am having a similar problem. Note that I am a real novice at updating my WordPress site, even though I have had it for one year.
Chris, what would you suggest I do in response to this major mistake I made yesterday? I am hesitant to take another step on my own.
Problem: I tried to upgrade my installation of WordPress 2.5 to version 2.7 on Friday, March 27, and as of yesterday, none of the Permalinks work on my site (http://americaninlima.com ). The new admin panel is there and the front page is up and running, though. I am upgrading through Fantastico Delux.
I confess that I did not follow the proper upgrade procedures:
(1) I did not backup my site prior to upgrading. The most recent full backup I have is from February 9.
(2) I did disable plugins prior to upgrading.
(3) I did keep a record of my hacks to WordPress prior to upgrading. I restored the code to original before upgrading, and after the upgrade, I put the hacked code back in the right and left sidebars and the footer (I’m using Cutline).
(4) I did not delete the old WordPress files on my site when I did the upgrade. I thought that I didn’t need to do that with Fantastico.
(5) I did not delete the htaccess file.
I am rather at a loss where to begin to set things right. Do I restore the Feb. 9 version of my site? (I’m not even sure how to do that.) Is there some simple code I can insert into the htaccess file to repair things? (I don’t know how to get into the htaccess file. I see it in the files of my directory, but when I click on it, all I get is a screen asking me to download it, and when I do, my computer cannot open the file.).