vkaryl- I don't want complete posts on my archive list pages, I want exerpts-- but I also want them paragraphed the way I meant them to be, which is the way it used to work in 1.5. Using 18.104.22.168 it seems that if I want to have my archive pages paragraphed properly and the way I intended then I'm forced to show whole posts instead of exerpts. That, quite frankly, sucks.
tomhanna- I might be totally wrong, but the way I understood that thread the_exerpt was putting paragraph tags around the whole exerpt and, if there were already paragraphs formed within the exerpt, this would then cause a validation error. Okay, I understand that would cause a problem-- BUT that does not seem to be what is happening in 1.5 with excerpts on archive pages (which work properly.) Read down further and you'll see what I mean. I'm also seeing a reference to the_excerpt_rss as the choice of tags to use inside links since the_excerpt_rss strips out all html tags. Okay, that makes sense, and there is a different tag to use for linking purposes. If people use the_excerpt_rss for this "inside a link" purpose then why can't paragraphing be made to work in the_excerpt?? That would seem to be the logical breakdown and the logical uses for both.
Just so we're all on the same page here, I pulled source on one of my archive pages in the 1.5 version blog and this is the code:
<p>Kickass-Convergence is up and running, and seems to work well on Win-PC browsers. Please let me know of any problems or issues, especially in Mac Browsers (yes, IEMac, if you can!)</p>
<p>If you’re here to browser check Kickass-Convergence for me, you’ll find it on my theme-switcher, which lurks towards the bottom of my linklists. […]</p>
The page, is here (Kickass- Convergence on themeswitcher, just so we're all looking at the same code):
I ran it through validation and it's fine. You can also see, when you look at the code snippet and at source of that page, that no extraneous paragraph tags are being added around the "outside" of the excerpts to cause validation errors, which means that in 1.5 the original the_excerpt worked perfectly well, which is what I've been contending all along. But in 22.214.171.124 archive pages it doesn't.
If this no-longer-paragraphing thing was a "fix" for something else, well, it broke excerpts for the original intended purpose. And since there's another and more logical tag to use for the purpose the "fix" seems to have been intended for (if I understand all this mess correctly) . . . Please, give all of us paragraphing back in excerpts!