WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Possible bug in plugins section of wordpress.org (7 posts)

  1. Michael Fields
    Themer
    Posted 2 years ago #

    This is probably not the best place for this, but I don't know where else to post it.

    Last night I updated one of my plugins that is hosted here on wordpress.org: Taxonomy Images. 0.5 was the last version. 0.7 is the newly uploaded version.

    I experienced the normal 15 - 20 minute wait for the plugin to be updated after I checked the new version in. This time something strange happened though: only some of the information was updated.

    1. Download link - good
    2. Minimum version - good
    3. Compatible up to - good
    4. Plugin name - good
    5. Just about everything else - bad

    All of the tabs ( Description, Installation, Changelog ) were displaying data from 0.5. This lasted for a few hours until I decided to give something a try ...

    The Stable tag in version 0.5's readme.txt was configured to use svn tag 0.5. The Stable tag in version 0.7's readme.txt was changed to trunk.

    I thought that maybe wordpress.org was reading from the 0.5 tag's readme.txt instead of the one in trunk. I decided to delete the 0.5 tag all together just to see what would happen. After the 0.5 tag was removed, wordpress.org started reading from 0.7's readme.txt!

    I was able to fix this myself but thought that I would let you know what happened.

  2. Michael Fields
    Themer
    Posted 2 years ago #

    BTW, is this something for Trac? What IS the best place for such things?

  3. Chip Bennett
    Theme Review Admin
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Michael, this might be one to pass on to Otto directly...

  4. Michael Fields
    Themer
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Chip, Thanks for the suggestion. Done.

  5. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I doubt removing the old tag had anything to do with it.

    WordPress.org runs on more than one server, and each one does different things at different times. Only one of those servers has the ability to update the information from the readme.txt...

    Your latter update would have triggered off another cycle of updates, but removing the old tag wouldn't have caused it. Just the fact of the update itself would likely do the trick.

  6. Michael Fields
    Themer
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Right on. Thanks for your attention and the information. Next time I'll just update sooner if I experience the same thing (Lord knows I make enough spelling mistakes).

  7. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 2 years ago #

    That said, there may also be a bug there. I'll look into it. :)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic