WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

poedit help needed (16 posts)

  1. eke
    Member
    Posted 10 years ago #

    i was trying out poedit but could not generate a po file since in the "parser" section of poedit only delphi and c++ are defined. what settings do I need for php files?
    also as keywords i defined __() and e_() but "e_()" always disappears when i close the keywords dialogue.
    thanks for any help
    eke.

  2. eke
    Member
    Posted 10 years ago #

    not sure if this is correct but i just added *.php to the c++ parser setting and am now getting results.
    the keyword strings need ot be "__" and "e_" apparently.
    translation now begins :D

  3. eke
    Member
    Posted 10 years ago #

    ok i have comlpeted a "formal german" po file now. want me to add it to the wiki?
    there's still a lot of strings in wordpress that aren't translated in this po file but all strings found by poedit are translated...

  4. eke
    Member
    Posted 10 years ago #

    oh btw the only thing i was unable to translate was
    wordpress/wp-admin/edit.php:72
    original string "% comments"
    whenever I tried to put anything else but the original string in the translation area it resulted in the following error:
    e.g. "% Kommentare" would sprout:
    17:17:19: D:\documents\po\de_DE.po:337: 'msgstr' is not a valid PHP format string, unlike 'msgid'. Reason: In the directive number 1, the character 'K' is not a valid conversion specifier.
    17:17:19: msgfmt: found 1 fatal error
    ---
    in the translation the first character after % always provokes this error, no matter what character, unless the string is identical with the original...

  5. Ryan Boren
    WordPress Dev
    Posted 10 years ago #

    That should be _e, not e_. You shouldn't need to bother with this unless you want to generate a POT file from source. I provide a POT file on the Wiki. However, if you want to generate your own and make sure you have the latest strings, even better.
    Yes, add the po to the Wiki.
    "% Comments" is indeed a pain. The comments_number() function uses "%" to perform substitution. This conflicts with the typical use of %, as a format specifier. I'll try to fix this. I think you can tell poedit to ignore errors in the meantime.
    I'm marking more strings each day. We still have a lot left to mark.

  6. TigerDE2
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Hi rboren,
    Hi eke!
    Any solution to the "%K" problem yet?
    And eke, did the parser setting actually work for you?
    I'd really like to know... :)
    Regards,
    Christian
    P.S.: @rboren: how do you create the pot file? Using GNU's original tools? If so, could you please present the parameters...?

  7. moshu
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    re P.S. see the Appendix at the bottom of this wiki page
    http://wiki.wordpress.org/?pagename=WordPressLocalization

  8. TigerDE2
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Hi!
    Well, there's only one problem with that script:
    It looks rather "linuxish ".
    And me being a lazy Windows user used to a proper GUI gets a little scared by that (Perl (?)) script...
    But thanks anyway for pointing it out... :)

  9. moshu
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    LOL, I was hoping you'd understand it... because I am a lazy Win user, too :)
    Not to mention I can work only with the POT files created by the devs, because I have no idea how to create one.

  10. TigerDE2
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    There's obviously a function "Catalogue > Update from Source" in poedit which takes care of updating/creating catalogues. The problem is it needs a parser and poedit only comes with a C/C++ and a delphi parser. And according to the people from poedit's mailinglist, they're no good for PHP source. And the wiki .pot file vanished from the codex... :-/
    But maybe I can figure out how to set it up for PHP by looking at that script... :)
    Regards,
    Christian

  11. TigerDE2
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Update:
    Looks like the files got screwed up during extraction from the zip archive. Going to try it again... :)

  12. TigerDE2
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    For some reason, I the archive contents seem to have Windows Line Endings (/r/n) which I now try to convert to *NIX line endings.
    Going to be a little difficult... :)

  13. villas
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    i MAKE A DESCRIPTION OF MY ADVENTURE whith poEdit before trying configurate him and the result is that:
    http://musica.educar.pro.br/po.htm

    If this help someone or motivate someone for help-me ...

    Thanks

  14. villas
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    i MAKE A DESCRIPTION OF MY ADVENTURE whith poEdit before trying configurate him and the result is that:

    http://villasweb.com/poedit/po.php <------- changed !!!

    If this help someone or motivate someone for help-me ...

    Thanks

  15. villas
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    If anybody have an English translation for this link i apreciate:

    http://doku.wordpress.de/Erstellen_der_Sprachdatei_mit_poEdit

    Thanks

  16. villas
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    So ... poEdit 1.3.3 have a BUG ... search dont work properly ! return to 1.3.2

    Villas

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags