I realize that 3 is only in Beta and that the plugin isn't necessarily ready for it. I'm hoping this will help get it ready.
I have a site I'm developing (its behind a password so you'll have to take my word for it) which is primarily a content site, not a blog. There is a blog section of the site, however.
When I go to a blog post I get the following markup for the breadcrumb:
<p id="breadcrumbs"> You are here: <a href="http://example.com/">Home</a> » <a href="http://example.com/2010/04/fifth-post/">Press</a> » <a href="http://example.com/category/press/">Press</a> » <strong>fifth post</strong> </p>
So I've set the anchor text for the blog to "press" which duplicates the name of the category.. something I'll fix once I think more about things.
The problem is that the the url /2010/04/fifth-post is the URL of the current page. The same thing occurs if I go to a child category of press. If I go to the press category itself, it seems to pick the first post...
All in all odd behaviour.