It looks like weather.com will cease to offer free forecast feeds as of November 15. I had a look at the ‘offerings’ proposed in the email I received below, but I’m not paying $20/month for weather data. Looks like I’ll have to find a new provider for weather information and re-write the plugin to use that…or let it die.
We are writing to you because our records indicate that you are a registered user of the weather.com® XML Data Feed (http://xoap.weather.com.)
As a valued subscriber, we want to let you know that our data feed service offerings are changing. Beginning the week of October 10th, 2011, we will be launching a new subscription service, The Weather Channel® API.
The Weather Channel® API is a subscription offering created by The Weather Channel specifically to provide developers with access to an easy to use weather data feed that they can use to power commercial applications across a variety of technology platforms.
Key Features include:
• access to the most comprehensive global forecast set available anywhere
• white label solution (no logo; no links)
• weather data provided by weather.com®
• data may be accessed in either XML or JSON format
• leverages a world class cloud-based Infrastructure
• product support for the world wide web, the mobile web, downloadable web / PC applications, and downloadable mobile phone / smart phone applications
• multi-language support for English, Spanish, French, German, & Portuguese
What this means to you:
In order to have access to an XML data feed from The Weather Channel, you will need to subscribe to The Weather Channel® API. This letter serves as formal notice to you that your access to the weather.com® XML Data Feed will terminate at midnight Eastern time on November 15, 2011. To evaluate The Weather Channel® API as an alternative to the weather.com® XML Data Feed, please go to http://portal.theweatherchannel.com.
If you have questions concerning this notice, you can call The Weather Channel at (770) 226-2329 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to continuing our relationship with you.
Scott H. Zucker
Director, Revenue Management & Optimization
The Weather Channel, LLC
Phone: (770) 226-2329
Facsimile: (770) 226-2966