WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

WP Super Cache
After upgrade, preload stalls often (8 posts)

  1. Biranit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi,

    Five days ago, I upgraded my website to wordpress 3.4 and also upgraded on that occasion WP Super Cache to the latest version.

    I did not change any settings on WP Super Cache - I noted that preload (which I've already used prior to upgrade) had split taxonomy to a new checkbox, but I left it unchecked.

    Since then, without fail, I get an email every day - and on one day even twice that day - saying "Preload may have stalled/preload has been restarted".

    I have no idea what changed. I also don't know if this is something I should be concerned about? Is there anything I should look into? If it needs fixing, what do I do? If it doesn't, how do I turn those emails off?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thank you,

    Bira

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/

  2. Biranit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I should add that this is a news website with fairly high traffic and a lot of content. There's over 8,000 posts and I have preload set to "all" posts.

    Under "content" it currently has:

    Cache Contents

    WP-Cache (24.74MB)

    7 Cached Pages
    1386 Expired Pages

    WP-Super-Cache (544.04MB)

    5758 Cached Pages
    0 Expired Pages

    And under preload it states:

    Currently caching from post 3600 to 3700.

    Page last cached: 3638 [some url]

  3. mediocrefred
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I have the exact same problem. Recently upgraded WP and the WPSuperCache plugins. No settings changes. And am getting the same symptoms. The only difference is that my site is much smaller (~ 150 posts/pages).

    If I delete the cache from the WPSuperCache -> Contents tab and then attempt a PreLoad, it doesn't appear to cache anything. Even after an hour, the only pages that are cached (in the Cache Stats) are the ones that are manually visited since the clearing of the cache.

    I have enabled debugging. Don't see anything significant for the PreLoad, but, every time a page/post is accessed, there are a bunch of entries indicating that a cache does not exist an new one needs to be created for that page/post. But, once this is done, that page/post is added to the cache and can be verified using the list of cached files in the Contents tab.

    Any idea why PreLoad has stopped working?

  4. Biranit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    OK, this are only getting worse and I am a little anxious.
    Over the past 24 hours, I got 16 emails of "preload may have stalled/preload restarted", and I noticed that it is having an effect on caching as a whole.

    I changed the setttings from "all" posts to 4650 - approx half the number we got - and sure enough, it removed all the already cached posts and started again! And I'm getting these emails all the time!

    There is no problem of memory or load on the server, there are no errors spouted out. So what is going on?

    Help please!

  5. Biranit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Sorry to continue with this one, but I think something is just really wrong.

    As mentioned, I changed the settings to preload less posts. And, by the way, I have "Refresh preloaded cache files every 0 minutes" (so disabled).

    Despite this, every day (I don't know how often), the whole thing gets deleted and preloaded again - and because we have so many posts, it never actually manages to go through the whole thing! The most cached files I've seen it reach is around 7000. Right now, it's got 4800 cached file and preload is still running (with the preload stalled emails being fired off once or twice or more a day).

    For whatever reason, it resets the number of posts back to "all" and ignores the 0 minutes...

    I just don't know what to do. Up until 10 days ago, it all worked flawlessly.

  6. jasonpaulweber
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Did you ever find a solution to this? I just started getting these preload messages recently, on one domain, and I haven't done anything.

    Thanks!

  7. Biranit
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    @jasonpaulweber: no, it was never fixed. However, I can confirm that these errors didn't really have an effect on the process. Once preload was finished (which in our case took some 10 days), these errors were gone.

    Perhaps in some future release these errors will be deprecated. They are apparently not important - more in the way of "notices" than actual errors.

  8. jasonpaulweber
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Ahh, okay .. thanks. Messages stopped coming in. But I had a flood of them over a 3 or 4 day span ... like every hour. Thanks for responding.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.