I just went through the configuration wizard, and then it failed at indexing. I ran it from the command line, and this was the error:
$ /usr/bin/indexer --config /srv/www/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/sphinx/sphinx.conf wp_blogdelta wp_blogmain wp_blogstats Sphinx 0.9.8.1-release (r1533) Copyright (c) 2001-2008, Andrew Aksyonoff using config file '/srv/www/wp-content/blogs.dir/5/files/sphinx/sphinx.conf'... FATAL: no sources found in config file.
I confirmed that sphinx.conf was, in fact, created, and that it contained sources. I also tried giving it 777 permissions. Nothing works, and sphinx indexer continues to believe that sphinx.conf doesn't contain sources (but it does).
Thanks for your help!!!