Already for a long time I have been walking around with this question and I have been reading a lot about this topic. But I still don't know the perfect answer on the question: what is the best way to do SEO for a blog with hardly any textual content?
I run the blog http://www.pieterzandvliet.com for my step dad. He is a visual artist which uses this wordpress blog as an up-to-date portfolio. Every day he puts one or two posts on it with inside only a .JPG file of one of his art works (he has a huge archive and still is very productive). I already did the following to optimise search engine indexation:
- Install Yoast SEO plugin and configured it according to this article: http://wpsites.net/wordpress-plugin/how-to-setup-wordpress-seo-by-yoast-plugin/
It is configured that only the posts and categories will be indexed and not the (many) tags my step dad uses.
- I installed the plugin SEO friendly images and configured it to automatically override the image title and the image alt tag with %title %category etc.
- I told my step dad to use a lot of tags (since he is not using text in his posts)
- I told him to write unique meta descriptions for every post
- I linked his wordpress to twitter, and twitter to linked in
But my question is how will the tags be treated by search engines like google? Will they be seen as content? Or is the use of these tags actually working against me? And what is the best alternative than?
Also are there other things I can do to optimise indexation and findabilty without putting actual text in the post itself?
Thank u for your help,
P.S. I also wonder when it is best to index categories and when tags, in this case.