I've been trying to move a client's site using Export / Import. On import, a number of images are not being imported with an error like
Failed to import Media “Simply Soaps”
I've tracked this down to a problem with .bmp images, where any .bmp files from the source site are not being imported. All of the originals are available at the URL given in the WXR file, and all other images import correctly.
I've tried this on a couple of different servers (OS X and Ubuntu) with the same result. Both of them have all updates installed, so I don't think it's to do with versions of the GD library or anything like that. There are no errors in the PHP log either, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem.
Given that WordPress can obviously deal with .bmp images, because they've been uploaded and resized on the first site, this feels like it's a problem with the plugin somewhere, but without any errors messages it's difficult to know what it might be.