WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Wordfence Security
[resolved] Wordfence could not get an API key (6 posts)

  1. mzit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hello,

    I just installed Wordfence for the first time, now I recieve this error message:

    "Wordfence could not get an API key from the Wordfence scanning servers when it activated. You can try to fix this by going to the Wordfence "options" page and hitting "Save Changes". This will cause Wordfence to retry fetching an API key for you. If you keep seeing this error it usually means your WordPress server can't connect to our scanning servers. You can try asking your WordPress host to allow your WordPress server to connect to noc1.wordfence.com."

    How do I solve this problem? Also, does this mean that Wordfence does not work in it's entirety or are only certain features affected (I received some basic data from the live traffic scanning already)? Please note that I also sent you my activity log a few minutes ago.

    Of course I will also check with my hosting provider, but I am hoping to be able to get soem feedback from you as well.

    I also have a second question regarding the firewall rules feature. Can you give me (or direct me to) further information on how I should configure it? Currently it is deactivated, but I would like to set up some basic (not to strict yet affective) rules in the future.

    Thanks in advance for answering.

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordfence/

  2. Wordfence
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi Mzit,

    Please try to uninstall and reinstall the plugin. We experienced some DNS issues today which caused this problem.

    My apologies for any inconvenience caused.

    Regards,

    Mark.

  3. mzit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Thanks, I noticed that I couldn't reach your website yesterday because it said the domain had expired.

    I will try to uninstall and reinstall the plugin now.

    Also, my host said the plugin has a bug and is using to much memory (according to the error log). So I changed the maximum memory limit to 128MB but still got the same error. As I said I will try again.

    Thanks

  4. mzit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    I have just updated to plugin to a new version, but am still receiving the same error message.

    Also, my error log says that the plugin tried to increase memory limit to 268435456 bytes (which is above the allowed limit), even though the Wordfence Memory benchmarking utility does not report any problems after I set the maximum memory limit to 128 megabyte.

  5. Wordfence
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi Mzit,

    You can email your error log entries to mark@wordfence.com and I'll take a look at them.

    Note that increasing the memory limit does not mean that Wordfence will actually use that amount of memory. Wordfence is built to be very memory efficient and will only use about 8 megabytes during a scan.

    Any problems we had with DNS were fixed about 10 to 12 hours ago, so you should not be seeing that any longer.

    Email me those error log entries and I'll take a look.

    Regards,

    Mark.

  6. mzit
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Thank you, I sent it to you just now.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic