Hi I am going nuts here and I see a number of similar posts with no clear resolution as to whether/how they ever got if fixed if they did. If anyone did get their's fixed, please post why/what you changed.
As far as I can make out the problem is restricted to the local windows server (my development box). It does not happen when accessing the remote servers with same browsers.
It does happen
- with all plugins deactivated and just the unaltered default theme
- in all browsers IE, firefox, chrome, safari. Yes cache was cleared... i even gave up overnight and it is still there this morning
- in wp 3.0.1 and an older wp 2.9 instance I have
Symptoms: (summary - now looks like no js when local server, yes js accessing remote sites)
- the dropdowns in the menu do not work (in my experience this is usually due to a problem with a plugin loading some jquery that clashes, however all plugins are deactivated)
- the screen option button is frozen, so cannot go to accessibility option
- the widgets are frozen, cannot open the sidebars, cannot drag the widgets
While it is "only" my development server, it is nonetheless concerning.
- I don't think it is a browser cache thing - also happens in the browsers I do not normally use.
- Norton running so hopefully not a virus thing