1. download install plugin as per usual and activate.
2. go to widgets and drag the donation target meter to the side panel.
3. at this point you will need to add in your api username, password and secret code. You will need to have a paypal account to get the apis.
Personal paypal accounts don't have apis. You need to upgrade your account to premium paypal account which doesn't cost you anything.
So under paypal profile, you can then request for an api. There are 2 types of api. Get the one which has username and password provided.
Around this point you should have you api details. Input them into the widget.
4. So now the meter works, but there is no donation button. This you will need to go to the paypal profile page and find the option for button creation. I suggest you use encrypted buttons so that you will not be required to use a certificate in order to get encryption enabled.
So once the button factory has generated the code, copy that and paste it into your widget to show above or after the target meter.
5. make sure the widget is set to live.
Now everything is set up and all working, enjoy :}
PS: remember your paypal account needs a bank account or a credit/debit card added to it in order to use this plugin :}
*bugs: i noticed that the target meter debug tool shows in regular user profiles. To make it not show for them, i use menu editor to remove it for non admin users.