WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[Plugin: Organize Series] Hierarchical or overlapping series (5 posts)

  1. DataGnostics
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I'm setting up a fiction website using Organize Series to keep multi-chapter stories together. In some cases, though, the multi-chapter stories are themselves part of a story series. It would be like:

    Series: The Lord of the Rings
         Prologue: Concerning Hobbits (single post)
         Maps (single post)
         The Fellowship of the Ring, which is also a series:
              Chapter 1: A Long-Expected Party
              Chapter 2: The Shadow of the Past
              ...
         The Two Towers, which is also a series:
              Chapter 1: The Departure of Boromir
    etc.

    How can I make a "series" like The Fellowship of the Ring itself part of a series, like LOTR?

    Help me <s>Obi-Wan</s>, Gandalf!

  2. Darren Ethier (nerrad)
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

  3. DataGnostics
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I've got the add-on, but I don't understand how to use it. Can I use the "groupings" to make an ordered sub-list?

  4. Darren Ethier (nerrad)
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Using your example above; currently you cannot order the series within, "The Lord of the Rings" group in the same manner as you order posts within a series. However, I am working on an update that will attach the series creation date to all series so you can order by the date a series is created. No ETA on delivery but it will be (hopefully) within a month.

    Your purchase of the Organize Series Grouping will get you a whole year of updates and I have a lot planned for improving its functionality.

  5. DataGnostics
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    For right now, I duplicated Organize Series (2.2) and changed the names of variables and functions to make it "Organize Chapters", with its own Admin section to "Organize Multichapter Works".

    I'm having one problem. I've got a development version on my local machine (Windows IIS7), and am testing the move up to the production version (Linux). Both use PHP Version 5.2.14.

    Everything looks fine in development, but on the production server the number %total_posts_in_series% is one higher than it should be. Here's what happens when I put in tracking code:

    function wp_postlist_count($ser_id = false) {
    	echo 'inside wp_postlist_count ';
    	if (!$ser_id) {
    		echo 'Point A ';
    		$series = get_the_series();
    		if (!empty($series)) {
    			echo 'Point B ';
    			$postlist_count = $series[0]->count;
    		} else {
    			echo 'Point C ';
    			$postlist_count = 0;
    		}
    	} else {
    		echo 'Point D ';
    		$series = get_orgserial($ser_id);
    		if (!empty($series)) {
    			echo 'Point E ';
    			$postlist_count = $series->count;
    		} else {
    			echo 'Point F ';
    			$postlist_count = 0;
    		}
    	}	
    
    	return $postlist_count;
    }

    Results on development system, for a "series" with a single post in it:

    inside wp_postlist_count Point A Point B inside wp_postlist_count Point A Point B inside wp_postlist_count Point A Point B
    This entry is part 1 of 1 in the series

    On production system:

    inside wp_postlist_count Point A Point B inside wp_postlist_count Point A Point B inside wp_postlist_count Point A Point B inside wp_postlist_count Point A Point B
    This entry is part 1 of 2 in the series

    Clearly, on the production system the function is going through an extra loop -- but I don't know why, or how to make it stop.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic