WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

MailPress
[resolved] Messages just garbled text (4 posts)

  1. J.D. Grimes
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Just installed this today, and have been testing it. I have sent a few test messages and they just appear as a lot of garbled text. "KAJHGFIUEHKLIU EIUIOBYVA8935VI3T9I3YP9HAUYEP98VRY397RPYo823qtp93wp9a7wlirubvy3975pyv83TP59"

    I don't know why it's doing this. I have tried viewing the messages in Gmail and Mac Mail, and they are the same way. I am using php mail(). I have only tried the twentyten theme. The email preview looks fine. The log file shows the real, coherent text. I don't have any idea what is causing this. I am using php 5.4.

    Add-ons that I have enabled:
    Autoresponder
    Comment_newsletter_subscription
    Connection_php_mail
    Mailinglist
    Newsletter

    Any help would be appreciated.

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mailpress/

  2. J.D. Grimes
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    This is just an update. The problem is still the same, and when I tried subscribing, the confirmation email was also just garbled. It seems that this plugin is incompatible with PHP 5.4, as evidenced by this fatal error.

    When that is "fixed" so that the PHP can execute the code, then you get these errors in MailPress's logs each time it tries to send out a message:

    2012-10-11 17:10:47 000000 -- PHP [E_WARNING] 2 : mysql_num_fields() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/efield5/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php at line 1121
    2012-10-11 17:10:47 000000 -- PHP [E_WARNING] 2 : mysql_fetch_object(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/efield5/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php at line 1126
    2012-10-11 17:10:47 000000 -- PHP [E_WARNING] 2 : mysql_free_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /home/efield5/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php at line 1131

    I don't know how to fix this so that the plugin will work right with PHP 5.4. I was hoping that maybe Andre could at least point me in the right direction.

  3. J.D. Grimes
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Another update:

    I no longer think that this error is related to my problem. It has to do only with one of the add-ons, which I am not using right now.

    The errors that I posted above are output after the mail is logged. Here are some errors that it puts out before logging the mail:

    2012-10-18 10:54:25 000000 -- PHP [E_NOTICE] 8 : Trying to get property of non-object in /home/efield5/public_html/wp-includes/post-template.php at line 30
    2012-10-18 10:54:25 000000 -- PHP [E_STRICT] 2048 : Non-static method nggGallery::get_option() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home/efield5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/lib/shortcodes.php at line 47
    2012-10-18 10:54:25 000000 -- PHP [E_STRICT] 2048 : call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, non-static method GA_Filter::the_content() should not be called statically in /home/efield5/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php at line 170
    2012-10-18 10:54:25 000000 -- PHP [E_STRICT] 2048 : Non-static method GA_Filter::ga_parse_article_link() should not be called statically in /home/efield5/public_html/wp-content/plugins/google-analytics-for-wordpress/googleanalytics.php at line 1282

    I don't have the time or know-how to track down these errors. :(

    Also, I said above that the email preview worked fine. Well, that's only partly true. The email preview shows the theme and email title, but it doesn't show any of the actual email text. The same is true if you try to view the email in your browser from the link -- there isn't any of you message there, just the theme with the email title.

    I am still trying to figure this out, but I don't know enough about how the plugin works to know what might be causing this.

  4. J.D. Grimes
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Okay, I decided to move to a different plugin, but the messages were still garbled. My website is set up to use UTF-8 encoding, and to fix this I had to set the mb_* encoding overload to 6 instead 7. In other words, the mail() function wasn't working right with UTF-8 encoding.

    So now this is fixed!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.