Update: I spoke too soon. See post below this one for more.
I just had both glitches reported in recent threads with version 1.9.5 -- first, syntax error msg, then "Google account login required" -- and doinked with settings until it worked.
My current settings on my WP dashboard are now:
- enhanced viewer
- default width: changed to "400 px" (my preference)
- default height: 500 px (my pref, again)
- Everything else unchecked.
Download Link Options:
- "Display the download link by default" is checked
- Everything else unchecked
Advanced Options: all unchecked.
In the post that wasn't working, I stripped all shortcode except
[gview file="name.pdf"] -- no width, height, force, etc.
It all works now, even when I'm not logged in to Google. I'm on a Mac using FF, if that matters, and my pdf's are hosted on my web host.
Hope that helps someone :)