Not sure why, but it seems to be working correctly again. I got a message from dreamhost.com where I have my site hosted. They said
"We are contacting you as part of our renewed initiative to proactively
warn our users about potential vulnerabilities or hacking activity under
their accounts. We have found such activity under one or more of your
users in the form of a directory called '.logs' which is being used by
hackers to store data. This directory is not malicious in and of itself
as it just contains data and not executable code, however it is a sign
that affected users are located under your account. To find the actual
vulnerable/malicious code we have conducted a scan of your account, and
the results are below..."
Then it lists a bunch of files that they scanned and cleaned up. I'm wondering if anyone really was trying to hack my site, or if I just messed something up while installing worpress or its themes. Anyway, now when I log into my wp-admin dashboard, everything looks fine.