I have recently begun (re)building a website for my cricket club. I have used the WP-PortalTheme 2.1 by Portal Labs, but made some basic modifications (adding my own header, changing the colour of the theme to my desired green). You can view the site here:
I would greatly appreciate any help in addressing the following minor issues:
1) How do you get the sponsor pics on the homepage to link to outside websites? I have tried altering the sponsors.php code
<a href="#"><img src="<?php bloginfo('template_url'); ?>/images/ad1.gif" alt="Sponsor" /></a> by replacing the '#' with the address of the site I want to link to, but this ends up with 'gembrookcricket.com/(site I want to link to)' instead of just (site I want to link to).
2)How do you edit the fonts of the pages as listed on the homepage? That is, 'home' and 'the club' are in a font I don't like and I would like to change them. Similarly, how do I change the font of 'sponsors'/'categories'/'blogroll' on the sidebar of the homepage?
3) How do you change the subtitle (sorry for n00b terminology) 'blogroll' to 'links' in the sidebar on the homepage?
4)Is it possible to make it so that posts do not show 'comments off' at the top of the post and 'no comments'/'leave a reply' at the bottom? I do not plan for the site to be interactive for some time so have no need to allow comments etc.
5) How do you change the colour of the letters in the titles of pages and posts, and the 'read more' link at the bottom of post clips on the homepage? The green in use is too bright for my liking.
6) Why is it that Firefox displays only the 'calderys' sponsor pic, but Chrome and IE both show all four sponsor pics on the homepage?
7) In 'General Settings' (of the WP dashboard) if I enter a title or tagline, this shows up over my own header. If I leave these fields empty then there is no problem, but am I missing out on better search engine listings (etc) by leaving these fields empty? If so, how can I make use of them without what I type defacing my header on the homepage?
8) How do you adjust your site so that instead of tab titles in web browsers simply showing 'gembrookcricket.com' they say the text that you would prefer them to say? For instance, if I have my site, Google and Facebook open in Firefox, the tabs read 'gembrookcricket.com', 'Google' and 'Facebook'. Mine seems unprofessional in comparison.
Thankyou to all and anyobdy who offers any assitance with these issues. I have tried to work it out myself and have gotten certain things done but as a n00b I can only figure so much out for myself. Once I am a WP pro I will help people on these forums but right now I am the one who needs help.