I've read through a lot of support threads but there seems to be no proper solution yet on the following:
I've followed the codex how to register a custom post type, 'auctions'. Also i've set up a permalink structure: /%postname%/.
According to the codex and some tutorials, once i've created the files archive-auctions.php and single-auctions.php, it should work like this:
All I got was a 404, on both situations. Only resetting the permalink structure to "standard" would do the job. I've tried a lot of things, tried all hints given in all the threads, like:
- being sure there's no 'double' use of 'auctions', for example in taxonomies
- re-saving my permalinks settings
- renewing the .htaccess and more like that
- and more like that...
Now, there finally came up a solution, but what I understand from a lot of people this is a very dirty solution: just before the closing tag of register_post_type, putting in the following string: flush_rewrite_rules( false );
I don't know the consequences of using this method, and there seems no clear information on this string, not even in the codex. That leaves me with two questions:
- Can I keep using this method, what are the consequences?
- Is there any alternative method?