I transferred (really just COPIED) a blog from one host and one URL to another host with another URL.
It seems to have worked, but I noticed that I needed to use the password from the original URL in order to access the WordPress Administration dashboard for the new URL.
Question: Does that make sense? Is there some way to do the transfer that will allow using the new password? Is there some file that has the password that can be accessed (via FTP) and edited?
Here are the steps I took:
- Exported the DB from the original blog using PhpMyAdmin in the Cpanel.
- Created a fresh WordPress install for the new blog with the new host -- BlueHost.com, using their automatic install
- Copied over wp-content from old to new
- Imported the DB from the original blog
- Changed two records in wp_options table called siteurl and home for the new blog.
Generally speaking, in terms of getting all the important pieces of the WP Database, does it make a difference if I export and import the database using the following choices:
- PhpMyAdmin, which generates an SQL file
- The Export function in the Tools menu, within the WordPress Dashboard, which generates an XML file
- The WordPress Database Backup Plugin (which I installed), used within the WordPress Dashboard, which generates an SQL file