First off, I like the site. The domain and the big background image all match with the theme. Overall very appealing and clean layout.
There are a couple of things I want to be picky about because the site's heading in the right direction
1. The site's logo and the green field background image are pretty heavy. Try optimizing the bg. As for the site's logo, it's really large refer: you might want to scale that down.
2. The snowflakes is pretty, but that trend has passed. These effects can come off being a wee bit tacky as that trend of seasons affecting websites has gone.
3. The header navigation is repeated above and below the logo creating redundancy. Stick with one of the two
4. The footer navigation links are broken into two lines, try keeping all the links in one line like that of the header.
5. You have this rich green in the background which color clashes with the blues used for the logo and heading text. Try using more complimentary colors for eg:
5. Use one line to describe what the site is about in the header
6. The subscribe field is right up there which is helpful and I'm glad the site doesn't start with that forced option (also see Tab Closed; Didn't Read
7. The 'About' section is placed well above the pages fold, which is good. But the content is a little vague in my opinion.
8. Follow us on Twitter - Have two to three feeds, any thing more than that can become noise
9. Since your site hosts a lot of articles, give that more than the current 50% page width that it has currently been assigned.
10. The middle column can be incorporated in the right column.
Here are some really good tips from Good UI that might be worth while.
All the best!
[sig moderated as per the Forum Rules]