I am considering converting our XOOPS driven site to WordPress, as we are using the XPressME Integration Kit, which 'combines WordPress 3.1 and the XPressME module to 'make' a WordPress XOOPS working module. I am quite impressed with WordPress, despite having used XOOPS for many years.
Have spent considerable time doing searches on the WP forums about XOOPS. Most of the posts are very old (also most closed), and therefore irrelevant, and many of the other posts do not contain the information I'm seeking. Therefore, please don't suggest I search the forums. :D
Here is what we are using now, each 'part' is called a module in XOOPS.
1. WordPress - I'm assuming I can use the db tables to import from XOOPS to WP, as I now use WP Admin to add new posts, etc
2. Headlines - This is a RSS news feed. It has categories, and within categories, you simply supply the uri of the news feed and a decription, also how long you want the cache to be, XML, rss type, etc. There are options about whether to display images, full text, number of news stories each 'page', etc
3. Links - Categories can be setup here also, and then within each category, add a link to a site, plus add HTML to describe any info and images, etc, that you may want to use.
4. Sitemap - Fairly basic sitemap. If you change any part of the site, it does it automatically. Part of this is to give Google, etc a sitemap, just a .php file.
5. Contact Us - Simple contact form, name, email, message, BUT is has captcha, which is a definite need, as bots can be a nuisance, so forcing a 'person' to do it is the best way.
So, looking for plugins I guess, that would do the same job as the above. Here is the server config ..
Apache version 2.2.13
PHP version 5.2.10
MySQL version 5.0.92-community
don't see a problem there. Also, our host has the security side of things very well 'tight'. Which brings to mind probably the most important side of 'staying' with XOOPS these so many years, is that it has a module called 'Protector', which was originally designed/built by GIJOE, see Protectors download info . The brief info there about what Protector can do ..
- Bad Crawlers (like bots collecting e-mails...)
- SQL Injection
- XSS (not all though)
- System globals pollution
- Session hi-jacking
- Directory Traversal
- Some kind of CSRF (fatal in XOOPS <= 220.127.116.11)
- Brute Force
- Camouflaged Image File Uploading (== IE Content-Type XSS)
- Executable File Uploading Attack
- XMLRPC's eval() and SQL Injection Attacks
- SPAMs for comment, trackback etc.
It is very powerful, and has saved many sites from being hacked. This is probably my biggest concern with moving from XOOPS to WordPress, the module Protector is very good on the security side of things.
Is there a WordPress plugin that I could use that will give me the 'protection' that the XOOPS protector module has been giving ?
I realise other protection measures can always be in place, like cmod to lowest level possible, etc.