I installed the plugin, created a modal, created my link just as the example was set up, checked the demo site (and it still doesn't work for me in any browser even though you stated in a post yesterday that it is updated and working). So I thought it might be a popup blocker not allowing my modal to show. Turned that off - no luck.
Tried setting the modal to site-wide which isn't going to be a workable solution anyway as I will have many, many modals and don't want them all loading in the background in my footer on every page. But even that didn't work for me.
I tried the code snippet in my functions file you posted on one post to update the jquery version, no luck.