Okay. I'll admit I’m a bit picky sometimes. But there are a couple things that bothered me about some of the internal WordPress widgets, so I modified the “widgets.php” file (found in the wp-includes directory) to fix the things that I didn’t like. Nothing here is earth-shattering, but I figured maybe somebody else would like my mods. Here’s what I did:
* I added a “depth” field to the page list widget control. This allows you to limit the branch display on the page list without having to include every post in the “exclude” list.
* I added a title to the search widget. (This implies that the search widget now has a control panel).
* Fixed styling on the archive widget so it renders similarly to other widgets. (I encapsulated the text input in a set of <p> </p> tags, just like all the other widgets).
I'm sure there's other ways of tackling these things, but modification of the widget.php file seemed like the most direct approach.
If you want it, the file is here for the taking. (Make sure you do a "save link as...")