WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Messed up umlauts after importing BlogML (4 posts)

  1. flohei
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi guys,

    I've just installed WordPress on my server to move all my old stuff that was spread out over multiple blogs to a new place. Importing Tumblr was easy. Importing BlogML, well, not so much. ;) It worked, but it messed up my umlauts. I used BlogML Importer (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/blogml-importer/) for that.

    Is there any chance to somehow automatically fix that mistake?

    Thanks
    –f

  2. Marventus
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi Flohei:
    Off the top of my head, there are two relatively straight-forward fixes you can try:
    1. Delete your newly migrated posts from BlogML and migrate them again but instead of doing directly to your self-hosted WP site, create a WP.com account first, migrate them there, and finally from WP.com to your self-hosted blog.
    2. Keep your imported BlogML posts and use SQL queries to search and replace the broken umlauts for their Unicode character equivalent. If you are not very proficient with SQL queries, there is a plugin you can use called Search and Replace, which lets you run simulated search and replace queries for testing purposes and also actual S&R queries very easily.

  3. flohei
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi Marventus,

    thanks for your reply. I kinda took the second approach and followed the instructions on this German website:

    http://www.mastblau.com/2009-01-20/wordpress-auf-utf-8-umstellen/

    He basically said the same as you did.

    Thanks again!
    –f

  4. Marventus
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Hi Flohei,
    You are welcome. LMK when you are able to figure this out.
    Viel Glück! ;-)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic