WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Jeff Bar's Comment Verification - HELP? (13 posts)

  1. ShaeLeigh
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    I've installed Jeff's code but can't seem to get it to work. I think I've placed the part that goes on wp-comments-post.php in the wrong place, but I can't figure it out. This is all in an attempt to stop the Texas Holdem Spammer.

    My site

  2. Joni
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Shae, I contacted Jeff himself and he was kind enough to walk me through it and I got it to work.

    I can help you (I hope), since I have a sound install of it to work from. Send me an email at

    joni (at) jonimueller (dot) com. I'll send you in text format the pieces of code that you need and show you where they need to go. Casino and other unwanted spam has been stopped dead in its tracks!

  3. ShaeLeigh
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Oh, thankyou! I'll email you.

  4. pstar
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    1) robots can figure this out.
    2) your also screwed because the creator of the code has put the code on his blog, which means the robot will eventualy figure it out by snooping around on the developers site and enventually counter the prevention method. Spambots can adapt, figure out and create new methods of attack. Robots often go out in pairs. One attacks and the other follows and looks for clues and reasons why the first spambot went off track. Spam bots go out at night to spam and figure out how they can adapt to the new set up. When the first spambot and second spambot get really confused someone will pay. (usually the first bot will get so confused they will spray out a few hundred comments. They get cranky when confused. Not to mention there are spammers looking at these forums. I recommend you use this method.
    http://www.gudlyf.com/index.php?p=376

  5. Robots can and have figured out Gudlyf's hack as well. Almost all captchas have been defeated by spam bots. Those that haven't ... were created today and will be countered tomorrow. The point is how many bots know how to get around the hack. Currently, only about 10% of the spam bots know how to get around catchas like Jeff Bar's and Gudlyf's. Why? Because the other 90% are happy with the millions of blogs that still have no anti-spam protection what-so-ever. By your standards, we're "screwed" no matter what we do.

  6. pstar
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    yes, but robots have a tougher time with images. It's not easy and we are all screwed.

  7. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 9 years ago #

    "Spam bots go out at night to spam"

    I know I shouldn't, but I like that image :)

  8. NuclearMoose
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    Are spam bots that go out at night vampire bots? :)

  9. Possibly. They do suck the life out of us all.

  10. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 9 years ago #

    All we need then is some security lighting on the servers .... and a ban on feeding carrots to robots.

    "A bot may not injure a WordPress blog, or, through inaction, allow a WordPress blog to come to harm."

  11. ShaeLeigh
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    I doubt we'll ever do more than temporarily stop the problem. It's like virus strains becoming resistant to antibiotics...in a way. Adaptation happens. It's just a shame that these idiots are out there doing this. I mean, come on...who even cares about these links to casinos and things? They'd have better luck looking for a target audience instead of pissing off the masses. Oh well.

  12. ampersand
    Member
    Posted 9 years ago #

    I tried installing this, too, but it kept insisting I hadn't typed in the correct name - even when I had!

    If anyone knows a solution to this, I'd appreciate it. (I know that it's only a temporary solution, but better a temporary solution than no solutoin at all!)

  13. It's case-sensitive, is that what's causing you trouble? It does for quite a few people unfortunately.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.