WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

.htaccess gives no love (3 posts)

  1. dickkirkland
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Hello all,

    After reinstalling WordPress to the newest version,
    (I had a theme issue that caused me to do a total reinstall)
    I can not alter my .htaccess file to suit WordPress' needs.

    What I mean to say is that I didn't have an .htaccess file generated upon install, and I have created my own file.
    I've used the correct rules that WordPress generates and assigned the proper permissions to the file so that WordPress can work with it (666).

    The file is named .htaccess.txt on the server.
    I'm able to open the file and see all changes made to it.
    My problem is, WordPress still says "update your .htaccess now" within the permalinks section with the text at the very bottom of the page referring to the correct rules that should be in .htaccess.

    I've done everything in all support docs on wordpress.org and elsewhere. Is my issue stemming from files that used to reside on the server? Is something being cached that is not allowing my new install of WordPress to work with the .htaccess file correctly.

    Any help or advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    I was able to accomplish every step to make .htaccess work fine on a previous install and can't understand why I can not repeat the process.

    Thanks in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Dick

  2. whooami
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    The file is named .htaccess.txt on the server ..

    that you cannot open that file, read it, or write to it, is of no consequence to your problem, since thats not the proper file.

    An .htaccess is just that: an .htaccess, and THATS what the name of the file needs to be (with the DOT included).

    Furthermore, and just for future reference, wordpress never creates an .htaccess during an install.

  3. dickkirkland
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Thanks for your reply.
    I understand these things now.
    Unfortunately, I tried creating an ".htaccess.txt" and a ".htaccess" file as well, assigning the same permissions to each, (with the first filename being wrong of course).

    I was able to get "HTACCESS" file to appear in the file type column within Adobe Dreamweaver when removing the .txt suffix, but when removing this, the site/blog would not work and threw up a "404" or "5o..x" error.

    I think I just had a skip in the steps required to create the file.
    In the end, only my host was able to go in and rename it properly for WP to recognize its file type. This was done with a webshell that I will continue to use for future modification of this type.

    Very weird.

    Thanks though.

    Sincerely,
    Dick

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic