WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] How to get rid of WP_Multilingual with minimal damage? (2 posts)

  1. nofearinc
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    Hello,

    Most of the users with WP_Multilingual have faced memory issues. I personally do like the plugin, but it has caused me more problems than benefits.
    The question is: How can I get rid of the plugin? If I deactivate it now, posts' body disappear (only titles left). If I add /bg (I do use Bulgarian version) to the blog address, it doesn't help me at all.

    Most of the times I try to deactivate the plugin from the panel, I get memory leak error message. So I have to delete it.
    Is there a possible way to remove the plugin and get access to my previous posts?

    Thanks in advance,
    Mario

  2. nofearinc
    Member
    Posted 5 years ago #

    As this is a community and I feel obliged to help, I want to share with you that I had successfully removed the WP_Multilingual plugin. It was a long way 'till I got the blog back working, but I investigated the case.

    So, the reason I was unable to see post body (described above) is that they are not physically placed in the correct table. Default WordPress installation expects content to be saved in wp_posts table, column post_content. Installing WP_Multilingual changes the way posts are saved: their new destination is in wp_postmeta table with a different format. So when you remove the plugin, you cannot revert easily because of the absurd database change.
    I had to find only the reasonable posts from the wp_postmeta table. Then I got them parsed (most of them manually, because of the different structure that made them really hard for regex). And then updated the post_content column in wp_posts.

    Deleting the plugin restored the previous state. I had to refresh the permanent links, too. Also, as they were saved in the DB, I had to change them with an update query with:

    SET guid = replace(LTRIM(RTRIM(guid)), '/bg/', '/')

    Of course, there were many redirections from outside, with the old /bg/ format links, so I added in .htaccess:

    Redirect /blog/bg /blog

    That's what made my blog working again.

    P.S. I've had another issue on Pingback problem. Removing WP_Multilingual solved that one automatically.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic