WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

WordPress MU Sitewide Tags Pages
Getting 500 Errors when attempting to populate (9 posts)

  1. drummergirl
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I had this working on a development site several moths ago. The project was stalled and I'm now getting back to it. For some reason, it is no longer populating the tags blog we set up previously.

    The last post is from May 2012. I have published several new test posts from a public blog, but they don't show up.

    If I try the populate posts option in the network admin, I get either a 500 error or a blank white page. This happens with a single ID or with the "all blogs" option checked.

    I have disabled all other plugins and emptied the mu-plugins folder but the problem persists. I have even removed and reinstalled it directly from the wp repository.

    This is not on shared hosting and there are currently only 10 blogs so it's not a resource issue as far as I can tell. Can you please direct me in what to check next to resolve this?

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/

  2. Ron Rennick
    MultiSite Guru
    Plugin Author

    Posted 1 year ago #

    If posts are not showing up in the tags blog when you publish a post then the populate is definitely not going to work.

    Publish a single post then check your error logs.

  3. drummergirl
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Ron - I just published a post from the main blog, a user blog and on the tags blog itself. The only one showing on the tags blog is the one published from the tags blog.

    So I ran the populate posts function again... first with the blog ID of the user account. It said it completed, but no new posts showed up. Ran it again and checked "all blogs" and it it gives me the 500 error again.

  4. Ron Rennick
    MultiSite Guru
    Plugin Author

    Posted 1 year ago #

    @drummergirl - Just to reiterate:

    If posts are not showing up in the tags blog when you publish a post then the populate is definitely not going to work.

    Until you have the publish single post sorted out, there is no point in trying to troubleshoot the populate feature.

    Is the search engine visibility turned on in the Settings -> Reading screen? If so, then you have something conflicting with SWT and you will have to starting disabling things to see what the conflixt .

  5. drummergirl
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Ok - I figured this out. We had 2 blogs with the name of "tags". The url for the one I was trying to populate was tags.domain.com. The plugin had created a blog called tags.www.domain.com and was trying to populate that one, which is why I was seeing the not found errors.

    I removed the first 'tags' blog and then corrected the url by removing the .www and now it's working as expected.

  6. Ron Rennick
    MultiSite Guru
    Plugin Author

    Posted 1 year ago #

    Glad you found it.

  7. drummergirl
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Ron - still having an issue with this. It seems that when the plugin tries to create the tags blog, it creates it as "tags.www.domain.com" instead of "tags.domain.com". That blog won't open for me because it can't resolve the name, of course.

    If I change the site name manually to "tags.domain.com", I can see the posts, but then no future published posts show up in that blog. The plugin just creates another "tags.www.domain.com" blog.

    I've deleted everything and started over but it still creates the initial tags blog as "tags.www.domain.com". For blog name, I am just leaving it as "tags".

    I'm sure this is a setting in my network somewhere, but I'm stumped as to where to look. I can create other blogs just fine. Any ideas what I should do here?

  8. drummergirl
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Ron - still having an issue with this. It seems that when the plugin tries to create the tags blog, it creates it as "tags.www.domain.com" instead of "tags.domain.com". That blog won't open for me because it can't resolve the name, of course.

    If I change the site name manually to "tags.domain.com", I can see the posts, but then no future published posts show up in that blog. The plugin just creates another "tags.www.domain.com" blog.

    I've deleted everything and started over but it still creates the initial tags blog as "tags.www.domain.com". For blog name, I am just leaving it as "tags".

    I'm sure this is a setting in my network somewhere, but I'm stumped as to where to look. I can create other blogs just fine. Any ideas what I should do here?

  9. Ron Rennick
    MultiSite Guru
    Plugin Author

    Posted 1 year ago #

    The www in the URL is quite possibly a bug in the tags blog (which I'll be able to fix). However, editing the domain should not have affected SWT because internally it uses the blog ID not the domain/path to identify the tags blog.

    Future dated posts are not pushed to the tags blog until they reach the publish date.

  10. drummergirl
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    By "future" I meant any posts published after I set up the tags blog, not posts with a scheduled publish date - I guess that was misleading.

    I'll run another test tomorrow and see if I get the same scenario as described above.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.